Tuesday, February 15, 2011

And the Award Goes to...

I don't usually participate in blog awards but I was so touched by Sylvia/Little Treasures by Sylvia's award this morning, that I felt inspired to pass it on.

However, when I sat down to try to decide exactly who I wanted to pass the award to, there are so many blogs and bloggers who have inspired, coached and supported me over the past two years that I just couldn't narrow it down to five.  Rather than risk anyone feeling left out, I am not going to pass on the award.  I will, however, take this opportunity to tell you five things about myself.

1.  I live in Miami, Florida with my husband of 36 years.  We have two children, both in their 20s, neither of whom is married so we have no grandchildren.
2.  I left the corporate world 6 years ago due to a downsizing and wanted to do something meaningful with my life.  So I have been through a series of part-time jobs since then and am still searching.  My latest venture was to start up and run a mega food pantry for my church.  We are currently providing food for at least 300 families each week.  Unfortunately, I will attend a board meeting tonight when the pastor informs us that he has decided to shut the program down.  So I don't know what my future will hold from here out (I may be unemployed come tomorrow!).
3.  I am a big social justice advocate and have taught programs on Catholic Social Teaching.  I do a lot of advocacy for those left behind by the economic system, both in our country and internationally.  Ending hunger/starvation is my main focus (did you know that 25,000 people worldwide die EVERY DAY from lack of nutrition???).
4. We are FLORIDA GATORS.  My husband and I plan to retire and move upstate to Gainesville, Florida sometime in the next 18 months.  One reason is that we want to be near my aging parents, but we also love college football and basketball.  One of our "bucket list" items is to attend a football game at every SEC school we play.  
5.  From my high school days onward, I have always been involved in some type of craft.  I rarely take classes and just figure things out on my own.  Paper crafting has been my biggest craft love affair to date.  I work on some project for a portion of every day or evening, sometimes neglecting housework, laundry and cooking!  (My saint of a husband tolerates that neglect with love and humor.)  I approach card making as creating art.  Every time I sit down to make a card, I don't want to just make a card.  I want to make a thing of beauty that is more beautiful than anything I have made before.  This artistic outlet fills a need in my soul.  

Thank you for letting me share a little bit about myself.  Since I am not passing on the actual award, maybe I could ask you to reflect on those who have inspired you in the paper crafting world and that you leave them a comment thanking them for how they have influenced your art.  

And, thank you Sylvia for the honor you have given me! 

POST UPDATE:  Thank you, everyone, for your kind words.  Those of you who asked about the fate of our food pantry, the decision was that we could continue to run a food pantry but we must move off church property.  This is because we have a school and have had issues with my clients wandering around on school grounds.  So I am now tasked with finding a warehouse that can be turned into a food pantry/outreach center and getting that going.  Praise God, I still have a job and we can continue feeding people.  Thank you for your interest and concern!

9 comments:

Maria Matter said...

congrats on your award Linda!
Thank you for sharing a little of yourself...your beautiful spirit shows in your beautiful creations! Always an inspiration!
hugs & blessings

Beverly G said...

Congrats on your award--I'm probably one of your gushiest fans--everything I've seen you create has been a thing of beauty--you will truly have jewels in your crown in heaven. Sorry to hear about your food pantry,does your area have a meals on wheels?

Scrumplescrunch said...

This was a lovely post Linda. Although I have only been following you for a short time, I absolutely love your work, you inspire me every time.
Letting people know about yourself can make you feel a little vulnerable, but Iam glad you did.
Have a great day.
Smiles:)

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Great post, I totally understand and pretty much feel the same. Because there is a Vast Array of People who Inspire and who make this a fun experience.
But so glad you shared the info on "You" with us. And your gesture to thank others who inspire was a great idea.

Netty said...

Your blog is certainly a blog of beauty Linda, you make the most gorgeous creations and can feel that you put your heart into it. Thank you for sharing so much of yourself. Annette x

Justine said...

Congratulations on your blog award, I hear ya on participating and passing it on but what an honor nonetheless. Your blog is such a blessing to me. I loved reading and getting to know you better. Gainesville isn't too terribly far from me, well a lot closer than Miami. Let us know how things go at church tonight. Hugz

Carol's Ink Spot said...

How nice to get to know you just a bit more. I was sadden to read that your church is closing the food bank. Obviously, it is something of great need with it serving approximately 300 each week. I work for a private organization that assists families and individuals in need in two counties. Maybe you could volunteer your time and knowledge at another facility that does work like this. Good luck to you and love your artwork.

Margreet said...

congrats on that beautiful award Linda....so nice reading about you in order to know you better....your creations are always very inspirational for me!
xxx Margreet

kksb said...

Congratulations on your award. I only recently found your blog. In the short time I have been reading it you have most definitely inspired me. I bought the melting pot last week at Micheals (lo-ove that 40% coupon and plan to make an enameled flower today. Thank you for sharing yourself. You sound like a loving giving individual. The world definitly needs all it can get. I love Beverly's comment on jewels in your crown in heaven. What a lovely lovely thought. Peace.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com