Saturday, November 5, 2011

The Dreaded Man Card

That's right...comin' atcha from Tui Nathan, hostess of Our Creative Corner this week, is the dreaded "Man Card" challenge.  And she seemed so nice - LOL, but she zapped us with this challenge.  at first, it was even harder.  She initially wanted it done in non-masculine colors, but we all whined so much about it, that she took pity on us and made the colors an optional extra.  But I took a shot at doing mine in non-masculine colors.  After I whined with the rest of the team, I decided I should suck it up and embrace the spirit of Tui's challenge.  So here's my attempt but I'm not sure if orange and turquoise are non-masculine colors.  I actually think they are sort of gender neutral.

I just got my hands on Tim Holtz's fall seasonal distress ink pads and wanted to try them out.  So I cracked open the Ripe Persimmon and sponged it on the corrugated cardboard.  Why I thought I needed three more colors of ink pads I can't say, but everybody was getting them and I was feeling left out so when Simon Says got more in stock, I had to grab them.  I was pleased with the color, at least on the cardboard it looks like a nice orange.  Then I ran some vellum through the Cuttlebug Perfectly Paisley Embossing Folder.  For some reason, whenever I do anything with a Western theme, I have to use that paisley EF!  I sponged it with Broken China DI.  The cowboy image is a Tim Holtz stamp from the Wild West set, stamped in Memento Tuxedo Black on Flourishes CS and colored lightly with Copics.   The sentiment is also from Tim Holtz (Stuff to Say).  The next panel down was stamped with the paisley stamp from the Wild West set and clear embossed.  Did you know that you can heat emboss with the Ranger Distress Inks?  They are thick enough and stay wet long enough to be a substitute for Versamark.   All the edges were scissor distressed and sponged with Vintage Photo distress ink.  The brads are from Stampin' Up, retired of course!  Have you checked out the rest of the masculine cards over on the Our Creative Corner blog?   You will surely find something there you can take away for inspiration.

Thanks so much for stopping by today.  Have a great weekend!

12 comments:

Scrumplescrunch said...

It is a great Man card Linda, you did real good!
Smiles:)

Judy said...

I'm not sure why we dread making man cards so much, but we do don't we. I think yours turned out great! I really like the corrugated cardboard with the paisley. You always put things together so nicely.

Christine said...

Wonderful man card!

Lisa Minckler said...

Linda,
Knock out masculine card and that sentiment kind of gave me the chills! Truly wonderful card and despite the whining (which I would have done as well)you created a fantastically textured manly man card!
Lisa xx

Marjie Kemper said...

Love your bucking bronco! And hey, blue and orange are the colors of the NY Mets so that's pretty darn masculine, if I do say so myself.

Tui Nathan said...

Linda, this is perfection ... I knew that if anyone could do masculine in vintage then you could ... thank you ... for taking up the heated version too ... love this bucking bronco cowboy and that corrugated cardstock is a fabulous texture not to mention the twine, and those star brads ... superb!!!

Ink Art Designs said...

A fabulous male card Linda...you make it look so easy!!! I have just grabbed your blog button too ~ it looks great
Dot x

Julie M said...

Fab card, Linda - I love the colours you've used - wonderful texture too.

Julie :o)

Sharon Wheet said...

Linda, I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised with your creations. I love all the different elements you used: vellum, distressed edges, the sentiment, the cowboy image. It's all perfect! and I love the sentiment. It seems so fantastic with the cowboy. Your card is just perfect!
Have a great week! hugs, sharon
And yes, 'if my dreams and fears were in the same place, I'd still have to go. :)
And yes, if Simon said that the new limited edition distress colors from Tim H. were available, I'd have to purchase them, too! They are beautiful!

Anne Marie Hile said...

Linda, this has so much fantastic detail and it completely makes me thnk of Texas! Rootin' tootin' bronco bustin' fun! How is it possible that you made the chalenge appear so "easy-peasy"? You rocked the challenge with your amazing style, as always! Love it! Hope your weekend was great! Big hugs! :)

Vicki Fraser said...

This is wonderful, all the textures and colours are really masculine :)

LindaS said...

Wow whatelet a cool design. wTG.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com