Saturday, July 7, 2012

A Summer BBQ Invite


 
Hello and happy weekend!  We're celebrating summer entertaining this week at Our Creative Corner.  Sharon Wheet is our hostess this week and she wants us to make something for a summer event.  For her challenge, Sharon says "summertime, means parties! Make/create a paper craft item for a party. Any kind of party: birthday, BBQ, summer evening soiree, wedding, or an elegant dinner. This paper craft item can be anything related to your party: invitation, party favor, decorations, hostess thank you, etc. Be creative and have fun!"

Here is my take on the challenge theme.  Actually I tried to make a whimsical floral center piece out of a bunch of these flowers, but it just really wasn't working - gotta know when to quit :) My fall-back was an invitation, but I really didn't feel like making a card type invitation.  I made some of these library card pocket cards last Christmas and then I ordered a bunch of these pockets and cards for the boutique.  I never listed them for sale because I wasn't real happy with the quality of the pockets.  But I have decided to go ahead and put them up for sale for a very low price, just to move them out of the shop.  And they are fun to use.  I do enjoy making this sort of greeting.

Okay so what have I got going on here?  First I die cut acrylic packaging from some TH dies using the Tattered Florals and the Mini Tattered Florals M&S.  For the paint I mixed a small scoop of white gesso with some Mustard Seed Distress Stain and painted one layer onto the acrylic flowers, let it dry and painted another layer.  Then I spritzed on a light mist of Vibrant Turquoise Dylusions Spray (should be back in the boutique in about a week). Cutting acrylic leaves with the Tattered Leaves die, I also painted them with the gesso/distress stain paint and then misted with Adirondack Meadow Color Wash.  All the acrylic was heated with my heat gun to bend and shape as desired.  I found this awesome vintage button in my button jar and loved the way it heated up the design.

I wiped the Vibrant Turquoise off my craft sheet with a paper towel and then misted it to make sure it was really clean.  When I misted it, so much more color bubbled up that I laid the pocket and the library card face down in the droplets and had a wonderful instant background.  The lace doily was treated to the marbled stains technique with a combo of Mustard Seed and Picket Fence DS.  I made a little central strip with Ranger Foil Tape, embossed with the Regal Flourishes TF and then I created a bit of a patina by applying Pool, Meadow and Snow Cap alcohol inks to an alcohol ink applicator and dabbing it onto the embossed foil tape.  So that's the pocket.

Here's the library card "invitation".
The You're Invited stamp is from Sincere Salutations from SU stamped with Peeled Paint.  The hibiscus is an old stamp from Stampendous that I've had forever, but always comes in handy.  I stamped it in Picked Raspberries (new summer seasonal DI color).  Using a water brush, I picked up some color from the stamp pads and colored in the stamp. adding a bit of bling to the hibiscus with some stickles (too bad glitter/shine just never shows well in photos).   I used one of my new distress markers in Peeled Paint to write in the party deets.  

And now it's time to check out the rest of the samples over at Our Creative Corner.  Lots of fun summer event crafts over there this week!





8 comments:

Jenny Marples said...

Wow Linda! I would never have guessed how the flowers were made and what they were made from until I read your description. This is awesome. Thanks for sharing, hugs Buttons x

Scrumplescrunch said...

Just so original and pretty Linda, I am loving the effect of the turquoise Dylusions,(cannot wait for mine to arrive, your flower looks wonderful; a great invite.
Smiles:)
Sue

Sophie said...

Wunderschön, Linda, ganz großartig.
Ich bin begeistert... :-)

Liebe Grüße

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous invite Linda, love how you've used the packaging to make your flower. The summer DI colours look fabulous (mine arrived yesterday, thanks !) One problem, not sure I can make it to the BBQ in time..lol.. ! Sue C x

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Super stinking cute! Beautiful flower! I'll bring dessert!!!

Lisa Minckler said...

Love how a floral centerpiece turned into a stunning invitation tag!! LOL The leaves behind the flower have such realistic depth to them and you are right, the button...WOW! The perfect color accent to really make it pop. I'm adding more things to my "wish list" just from reading this post.
Have a great weekend.

Unknown said...

I have some of these too and I wasn't impressed either until now. Your invitation is gorgeous and love the techniques you used. The colors are perfect for a pool part/BBQ and I'm a big fan of that flower.
So happy I found OCC and your blog!!
Hugs,
Lisa xx

Words and Pictures said...

So much glorious colour - if the pool party's this much fun, can I come?! Lovely piece in every way.
Alison x

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com