Thursday, November 21, 2013

A Steampunk Snowman



Hi everyone, I'm back for week #2 of Sue's Christmas preparations challenge over at Frilly and Funkie.  It's the Funkie week and I guess I'm stuck on Steampunk since I made the Steampunk Stocking last week for the Our Creative Corner DT make.  Sue's challenge to us is to make some sort of Christmas decoration that will go on your Christmas table or Christmas tree.  I made another tree ornament using the Layered Wings die.  This time they are metallic wings attached to my little steam punk snowman.  The metal work is all done with Ranger foil tape.  The wings were also put through the matching texture fade to give them the feathered look.  Once all my foil tape was in place and either embossed or marked up with industrial type markings, I gave it all a coat of black acrylic paint, let it dry almost all the way and then wiped it off.  The holly leaves were made the same way but after  rubbing off the black paint, I dripped Meadow alcohol ink on them to give some green color.  I started to apply silver colored cogs, but they just faded into the silver background so I switched to the gold tones.  I made the holly berries with an old tube of some sort of silvery pearl making stuff, sort of a precursor to Liquid Pearls and when dry, colored them red with a Copic marker.  A little bit of Tim Holtz black tinsel twine made up the snowman's scarf.

That's my ornament for the Funkie week.  I had about a dozen ornament ideas floating around in my head and had hoped to make a couple for each of the challenge weeks, but just ran out of time.  Maybe things will hit a lull in a couple of weeks and I can focus more on crafting - I hope :)

Thanks so much for stopping by today and for your lovely comments!








These products used to make this project can be purchased at The Funkie Junkie Boutique where Tim Holtz and Ranger products are alway 20% below MSRP.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, that is my kind of snowman! He looks wonderful.

Redanne said...

Wow Linda, what a fantastic idea, I love your steampunk snowman - very creative. Hugs, Anne x

Brenda Brown said...

Brilliant - so unique and different.
hugs {brenda} x0x

Nicole Wright Designs said...

Ohhhhh giddy! I love this! Do you have the Assemblage Snowman yet? That's a good die too.

Claudia N. said...

LOVE your steampunk snowman, Linda!

He will make such a great addition to the tree! And he looks like he is ready for take off any minute! ;)
I am really happy that I could lure you into steampunk with the OCC challenge ;)

Hugs,
Claudia x

Viv said...

Simply terrific Linda!

Julie Lee said...

A really fun piece! I love it! Julie Ann xx

rachel said...

cool snowman Linda - fabulous xx

Astrid Maclean said...

Love your funky steampunk snowman, he looks fantastic! A great companion piece to the steam punk stocking I would say, fabulous!

Pierrette said...

love it,will make a couple for my daughters' christmas trees...
Pierrette

Pierrette said...

love it,will make a couple for my daughters' christmas trees...
Pierrette

Katy said...

This is so cool! Love this steampunk snowman! :)

Rebecca Deeprose said...

This intrigues me! You really are a source of funkie inspiration!!!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

So cool, such a wonderful idea.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com