Thursday, April 16, 2015

Brickwork


Double click any photo to zoom in for details.  
Hello!  Thanks so much for stopping by today.  I have a Funkie project for Frilly and Funkie's Spring Die Cuts challenge hosted by our lovely Nicole.  I was strongly influenced by a play I saw over the weekend at our local community theater - Little Shop of Horrors, not that I think any of these lovely flowers is apt to eat anyone - LOL.  But the play was set in New York City's Bowery district and the stage set was largely brick walls.   So when I started thinking about a funkie backdrop for my spring die cuts, all I could think of was those brick walls.

I started with a 5x7" sheet of chipboard for my canvas and sponged it well with Jet Black archival ink.  I was planning to use Ranger embossing paste over it so I didn't want to use anything that was water soluble that the color would be absorbed into the embossing paste.  Once the chipboard was nice and back, I used Wendy Vecchi's brick stencil to apply the embossing paste.  I had to do it in sections and let each section dry before stenciling again so as not to smear the previously laid down paste.  I let it dry overnight and then sprayed it with Dylusions Post Box Red spray ink and hit it with a couple of mists of Lindy's Stamp Gang's Van Dyke Sepia to knock back the red a bit.  In the end, the black mortar was not dark enough so I used a black Stabilo pencil to blacken between each brick...going for a more grungy look.

I just got my hands on the new Tiny Tattered Florals die that arrived in the shop on Tuesday and thought it was a great approach to the spring die cut theme, plus I was dying to try it out :)  I cut out white card stock and used Worn Lipstick, Shaded Lilac and Squeezed Lemonade stains to colorize m flowers.  I dried them with my heat tool and the sponged all edges with Vintage Photo.  I had these very cool little bronze leaves that came in recently and rather than cutting leaves with the dies from the set, I decided to use my new tiny bronze leaves.

I added a little graffiti to my brick wall using Remnant Rubs and Tim's awesome new Remnant Rub tool. The ART stamp is from Wendy Vecchi and I stamped int in Jet Black archival in a ripped piece of Melange Tissue Wrap.  My vine flourish is green paper cord from May Arts that also just came into the shop.  I have it in three colors - very fun embellie (and cheap too).  We have the great DREAM keys in stock too.   So there is my spring die cut project, straight out of the inner city!

Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you will also swing by Frilly and Funkie and leave some love for the other designers on the team.  They have some terrific projects that are sure to inspire you!











The following products are available at The Funkie Junkie Boutique, where Wendy Vecchi, Tim Holtz and most other name brand products are always 20% below MSRP.

8 comments:

Inkypinkycraft said...

what a great piece ... love the texture on here x playing catch up xx

Pamellia said...

Gorgeous Linda!! I am loving that brick stencil by Wendy...I'm adding that to my shopping cart for sure! Love the fresh green paper cord against the deep red, what a wonderful spring contrast! Beautiful flowers too! hugs :)

Patty O'Malley said...

Beautiful! Love the graffiti on the wall!

Unknown said...

Wow Linda, that brick background is amazing!! I love the remnant rubs on there too, what a clever idea. Gorgeous piece of work xx

Redanne said...

Linda, your brick wall is fabulous! Great colour and I love your 'graffiti' too. Hugs, Anne xx

Jenny Marples said...

LOVE the clever way you've added graffiti to this wonderful brick wall and yes, those creeping flowers look just like they could have come from that Little Shop of Horrors! Jenny x

Maryanne said...

This is a great card, Linda! I love the brick wall, so realistic and I love the graffiti. Its a fantastic project!

Deb said...

Very cool Linda, great texture on your brick wall and love the graffiti!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com